Pages

Monday 20 February 2012

There was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly

And of course you all know she died.  A bit morbid but absolutely fantastic!  Parents nowadays are apparently worried about stories being ‘too scary’ for their children which is rather stupid.  There’s a reason why it’s called a children’s classic.  DUH.

When I received my package from Amazon today I was extremely excited!  I quickly scoffed my poached egg on toast and opened up the box.  Can I just say, the amount of packaging used to transport the books was silly.  There was enough paper and card to probably produced the same books in the box!  (I also bought Animal Farm.) Sort it out Amazon.

So after wrestling through the waves of paper packaging, I got to the book I’d been waiting for with great anticipation…and it didn’t disappoint.  It was bigger than I had imagined but that didn’t matter to me.  It had a beautiful linen-finish card jacket that was tenderly hugging the book.

The attention to detail is brilliant and the format is faultless.  The pictures of the book don’t really do it justice.  You NEED to have the book and play around with it to appreciate the effort that has gone into producing it.  This book is the reason why devices like kindle will never be king.  Yes it may carry thousands of books for you in a handy device but it will never replace the special feeling and aesthetic quality that a book has. 

I haven’t felt like this about a book in a long time.  It’s a bit like going out with someone for the first time.  You get those butterflies and every page turn is like the next exciting date.  It’s just incredible.  This is the first review I have given to any book that I’ve bought.  That is how impressed I am with this.  The genius behind the illustrations is Jeremy Holmes.  Not only is he an illustrator but he also is the owner of Mutt Ink, the multidisciplinary studio.  If you love the look of this book you should check out his website

Below are images that I’ve taken of the book.  Enjoy!








P.S. How awesome are these shoes! Who said old people don’t have style eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment